3 Months (extends after)
Duties: 1 year Blood Bank Clinical Laboratory Technologist experience.
Skills: 1 year Blood Bank Clinical Laboratory Technologist experience.
Education: Valid license to practice as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist issued by NYSED, Primary Source Verification required. BLS preferred.
CLINICAL LABORATORY, LABORATORY, BLOOD BANK
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under supervision, performs and/or assists in performing all approved serological testing in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures; completes all required documentation and performs all required quality assurance/CQI procedures. Performs appropriate RBC antigen (e.g., ABO, Rh, etc.) typing using known antisera as per established procedures; groups or types blood and verifies blood group by back typing. Tests serum of blood donors and recipients (using known type A, B or O red blood cells); performs crossmatching tests for compatibility. Performs and interprets results of antibody detection and identification tests. (Identifies antibodies in subject blood that could cause adverse reactions.) Performs routine immunohematology tests as warranted (e.g., DAT, elution) and as assigned.
- Under supervision of physician and supervisors, receives, labels, processes, and issues blood and blood products, entering requisite information into section computerized system in accordance with set procedures. Receives and accessions patient specimens in accordance with established procedures. Fractionates donor blood, separating and preserving components of whole blood (packed red blood cells, platelet concentrations, cryoprecipitates, frozen plasma); pools products when indicated; washes red cell preparations; may prepare aliquots of blood components for pediatric use. Completes all documentation and logs all information in accordance with set procedures.
- Performs ongoing daily quality assurance/CQI functions in accordance with with established policies and procedures and regulatory standards. Prepares reagents and solutions following procedural guidelines. Performs required tests relating to transfusion reactions and records and reports results to supervisors. May maintain inventory records of blood products; checks supplies for spoilage and discards in accordance with regulatory guidelines.
Provides support functions maintaining work area quality; maintains files and statistics. May answer telephones for area and record messages. Maintains clean work station and equipment and maintains stock of clinical supplies.
Ensures good working order of equipment. Troubleshoots routine equipment problems or seeks technical assistance, keeping supervisor(s) informed.
Provides guidance and "lead" function for other technical and support staff as assigned by supervises, trains, assigns work to, evaluates work performance of personnel in a laboratory subunit performing routine ad complex clinical laboratory tests and analyses. May perform phlebotomy as required, responding to patients' needs.
Performs other related duties as assigned or required as professional technologist. May assist with the training and orientation of residents and clinical students from various departments and external institutions.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Job requires a minimum level of knowledge acquired through completion of a Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology/basic science plus one year of training in a clinical laboratory or a Masters’ degree in medical technology with one year training in clinical laboratory technology. ASCP certification desired not mandatory credential. Basic familiarity with computerized systems required.
- Prior work experience of at least 3-5 years is desired. Should be familiar with most major models of blood bank equipment. New technologists require period of 30 days in order to orient themselves to techniques and work area.
- Good analytical skills necessary for testing and typing of blood with the ability to verify compatibility of blood supplies and identify abnormalities for supervisory followup. Must be able to appropriately assess the correct action to take during testing, cognizant of patient well-being.
- Good interpersonal manner important during delivery of patient support in order to ensure harmonious provision of blood bank services. Must respond appropriately to inquiries from relevant clinicians.
- Work requires manual dexterity for use of computer keyboard and computerized equipment. Light lifting of clinical supplies may be required. Adequate physical control necessary if required to perform phlebotomy.
NEW YORK STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION CLINICAL LABORATORY LICENSE
TO PRACTICE AS A TECHNOLOGIST WITHIN THE STATE OF NEW YORK IS REQUIRED
1. Incumbents work under clinical conditions, which involve exposure to blood, a demonstrated biohazardous substance. Incumbents are required to wear requisite protective equipment during handling of blood specimens and products.
- TB Test - Any of the following will meet this requirement:
2 PPD - Tuberculin skin test (1 within past 3 months and 1 within past 12 months of most recent PPD)
1 IGRA (QuantiFERON or T-SPOT) (within past 3 months). Must provide copies of original lab reports showing name of Laboratory and Lab Director.
If positive worker must have chest X-ray report taken within 3 months of the positive PPD or QuantiFERON test. Must be completed annually.
- Tdap/Td - Vaccine within the past 10 years
- MMR –Titers or 2 series (minimum 4 weeks apart)
- Varicella –Titers or 2 series (minimum 4 weeks apart)
- Hepatitis B – Titer or 3 series
- Influenza - Either of the following will meet this requirement:
Vaccination (within 12 months of assignment and current during Flu season)
Completed certificate of declination
- Physical test -must be completed within 12 months prior to start of assignment and annually thereafter.