As a Mechanical Prototype Engineer on the Concept Design team, you will work closely with a wide variety of teams including Hardware Engineering, Research and Industrial Design to prototype the next generation of Portal, Oculus and wearables products. With competency required in functional prototyping with high attention to detail.
This role demands a proficient use of various fabrication processes and their correct implementation within the prototype path. Our projects support every stage from concept ideation and develop through product completion. You'll be asked to work independently, demonstrate a high attention to detail, be customer oriented and possess strong problem-solving skills. You must be a self-starter, well organized and have strong communication skills.
- Design iterate and test prototypes of concepts and products for evaluation, presentation and focus group studies.
- Collaborate with the Industrial Design, Engineering and Research teams to resolve complex design challenges.
- Create bespoke machined or printed parts and help improve the prototype process.
- Design and build Fixtures to support and validate advanced R&D initiatives to a high level of precision.
- Finish and assemble concepts to a high-level of presentation quality.
- Use hand sketches, computer aided designs (CAD) to create 3D models according to established specifications.
- Develop and manage relationships with internal teams and external vendors.
- Validate your designs to ensure they meet the deliverable requirements.
- 1-4 years’ experience in an Engineering/Design role within consumer electronics and familiarity with the product development process
- Experience with system level design and working cross-functional with teams including Engineering, Product Design, Research, etc.
- Strong CAD experience (NX, Fusion 360, Rhino, SolidWorks), design of original parts and working with ID surfaces.
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of the prototype development process, such as: 3D printing, molding, casting, functional prototypes, electrical integration and appearance models with aesthetic fit, finishes at a production-level appearance.
- Experience with problem solving and working independently.
- Experience in control and design of various devices
- Knowledge of electrical subsystems
- CNC machining