- The Metrology Test Engineer ensures our highly interdisciplinary team operates consistently and efficiently at our world-class manufacturing facility. This individual will work alongside both Research Scientists, Quality Technicians and Process Engineers on multiple concurrent projects with particular emphasis on optics & materials science.
- The test engineer will be responsible for owning laboratory equipment, including maintaining uptime, confirming and documenting performance, and maintaining scheduled services/ Responsibilities will also include implementation of new quality and metrology equipment for characterization testing. Finally, the test engineer will assist in large-scale metrology projects covering multiple sites and partners. This includes test planning, sample selection, inventory control and ensuring proper execution and documentation of individual tests.
This position will have several areas of responsibility that include:
- Scoping and designing fixtures to suit custom products and implementations
- Creating and executing gauge R&R, test plans, PMs, and calibration for characterization and lab equipment
- Data collection and statistical data analysis of metrology results that are clearly presented and communicated
- The ideal candidate will have an engineering or scientific education and experience in a lab environment with test equipment, protocols and process improvement. Experience in materials (polymers) and/or optics (optical engineering, polarization, diffractive optics) a plus.
Experience in the following areas will be beneficial but is not required:
- programming in scripting languages, data automation, SQL databases, and the physical/optical characterization of films. The candidate should be able to work meticulously, independently and as a part of a team, and be prompt and responsive in delivery of work product.
- We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly self-motivated and independent. Ability to work independently with strong time management and prioritization skills to handle multiple assignments and interact with project teams, while maintaining attention to details and accuracy is a must.
Position is an onsite role in Redmond, WA.
- Hands on and expert knowledge of metrology equipment, quality data and its analysis.
- Perform detailed sample testing, validation and data analysis.
- Arrange for customization or alterations of specific tools to fit project requirements.
- Manage lifecycle of gauges and equipment including evaluation for equipment upgrading.?
- Run, program and then train QC technicians on advanced Metrology equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining the calibrations schedules for all equipment and instruments on site, working with external vendors when necessary.
- Establish or modify standard procedures and lead their use and continuous improvement for quality testing; support management of change and quality validation processes for production processes all to insure ISO 9001 compliance.
- Contribute to process improvement through the use of tools including statistical process control, process mapping, control charts, Lean methodology and process capability studies to achieve business objectives.?
- Create and maintain company quality documentation such as control plans, procedures, work instructions and manuals.
- Prioritizes safety at all times.
- Prior testing and lab experience; experience handling chemicals and class 3b/4 lasers a plus.
- Consistent attention to detail and accuracy, a strong ability to work independently.
- Experience working within quality management systems.
- Background in statistical analysis and data driven decision making.
- Experience with automation of testing equipment and software programming for testing solutions.?
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication and organization skills.
- Good statistical problem-solving skills and creative approach for new ideas.
- Cleanroom experience a plus.
- Ability to work well under aggressive deadlines. Proven ability to effectively work as a member of a team. Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills are essential. Must be articulate and capable of producing written work that concisely address the matters assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, scientific, or related field.
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience with testing equipment.