Senior Data Scientist
Duration : Full Time Position
Salary Range : Waltham, MA: 100K - 120K and Hicksville, NY: 110K - 130K
The Analytics & Load Forecasting team produces electric and gas forecasts. As a Senior Data Scientist, you will develop long-term forecasts for distributed resources (including solar PV, energy efficiency, demand response, EVs, storage, etc.), and create long-term outlooks for policy based decarbonization goals for our US service territory. You will support the electric and gas load forecasting teams in integrating DERs and decarbonization forecasts into the long-term forecasts. You will work with the distributed resource, DSM, strategy teams, and other internal and external stakeholders to ensure that DER and decarbonization policies and programs are properly modeled.
- Develop long-term forecasts for distributed resources (including solar PV, energy efficiency, demand response, EVs, storage, etc.), and create long-term outlooks for policy based decarbonization goals.
- Perform additional analysis relating to DERs, DSM, and decarbonization policies in the forecast as necessary.
- Work with the electric and gas forecasting teams to ensure the electric and gas load forecasts properly account for distributed energy resources and new technologies and policies.
- The position of Senior Data Scientist requires the ability to work independently with minimal guidance and communicate to both internal and external stakeholders to present and defend results.
- The ability to speak to both technical and non-technical audiences to present projects is essential.
- Update forecast processes and documentation to ensure they are efficient, reviewable, and reliable.
- Provide expert testimony before regulators and defend the forecasts. Respond to data request from regulatory bodies for rate cases and other proceedings.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (including supply, engineering, regulatory, strategy) regarding forecast methodology and analysis and ensure our deliverables meet their needs.
- Stay current in all policies, regulatory requirements, market trends, and industry standards regarding customer energy use and technologies and programs impacting that use, such as energy efficiency and demand response.
- Supervisory/Interpersonal Experience Required
- Effective communication skills including the ability to make persuasive presentations to small and large audience.
- Ability to operate and build relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven strong interpersonal and human resources skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills.
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s or PhD preferred) in statistics, applied analytics, engineering or related quantitatively rigorous field.
- 5 or more years of relevant energy industry experience in a regulated setting with direct interaction with regulators preferred.
- Experience with policy or forecasting distributed resources (e.g. PV, EV, energy efficiency, demand response, electrification of heat, etc.) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with econometric or statistical forecasting or modelling preferred. Experience in energy load forecasting preferred.
- Good understanding of operations and the regulatory environment preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to testify before regulators and respond to regulatory data requests. Ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Expertise in statistical programming software such as R, SAS, Python preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills required.